If you’ve been thinking, “I’d like to remodel my kitchen, but I don’t know where to start,” you aren’t alone. Remodeling is no small thing; it can easily seem overwhelming before you start. Having a defined order of operations for your kitchen renovation can really help take away some of the stress of the process.
Our expert guide will walk you through a kitchen remodel step-by-step so you can feel like a pro before you ever lift up a tool.
Set Your Goals
The first step to remodeling your kitchen is deciding what you’re hoping to accomplish. Are you happy with the layout of your kitchen, or are you hoping to change that? What features, if any, are you planning to keep the same? A small kitchen remodeling might only include replacing your countertops or repainting your cupboards, while a full-scale remodel is more involved.
Another thing to consider with your goals is whether or not your existing kitchen has any problems. Are there issues with functionality, like a fridge door that hits the pantry door when they’re both open? Any leaks or other issues? It’s essential to address these before your begin the remodel so they can be taken care of during the process.
Now’s also the time to make a note of any specific features you’d like to include in your new kitchen. Maybe you’re hoping to add an island, or you’ve been dreaming about a double oven. Write down your wishlist in order of importance. It’ll be easier to make decisions down the road when you have your prioritized list.
Make a Budget
Remodeling your kitchen can range drastically in price depending on how much you plan to change and what materials you use. The state you live in also plays a role in the cost. On average, you can expect to pay between $12,000 and $35,000 to fully remodel your kitchen.
There are a few things to keep in mind when you’re setting your budget. First, try to make sure your remodel budget doesn’t exceed 10% of your home’s value. Most sellers recoup about 57% of remodeling costs when they sell their homes and less on more extensive remodels. It’s also a good idea to plan an extra 10% or more of your budget for unplanned overages.
Work With a Remodeling Company
Perhaps the most important step of the remodeling process is finding a remodeling company that can help you meet your goals. Make phone calls and ask for estimates on your project. Visit their showrooms to make sure they can provide what you’re looking for.
The right company will understand your plans while bringing their own expertise to your project. They’ll also, work with your budget, and help make your kitchen renovation a smashing success. A remodeling company will be fully licensed and insured so you can rest assured that all the plumbing and electrical work is being handled properly.
Remodel My Kitchen: Order of Operations
There’s a basic order of operations for every renovation, even a small kitchen remodel. Here’s a look at what order the remodeling company will tackle your kitchen renovation. Keep in mind that they might do things differently, depending on their preferences and the specific project. Remodeling experts are pros at adapting to the circumstances and making changes if needed.
- Demolition – Put on those noise-canceling headphones and protective eyewear for this part, and be prepared for a lot of noise and dust. Demolition involves removing sheetrock, pulling up flooring, and ripping out cabinets. This is also the best time to address any plumbing leaks or electrical problems.
- Reconfigure Wiring and Plumbing – If your large or small kitchen remodel involves changing the layout, then it’s important to reconfigure the wiring and plumbing before going any further with the renovation. Make sure everything is in place for the new lighting, electrical outlets, sinks, and appliances.
- Drywall – Next up is applying the drywall and insulation. These can go on once the electrical and plumbing systems are in their correct places and you’re ready to hide it behind the walls. Once the drywall is installed, it will need to be mudded and textured.
- Paint – This is one of the most transformative parts of any remodel, especially if you’ve chosen a new paint color for your kitchen. Paint the walls and the ceiling, but keep in mind that you’ll likely need to touch up some spots after the rest of the kitchen is in.
- Flooring – Putting in the new floors comes next. This process may go very quickly or take much longer, depending on the materials you’re using. If you’re putting in tile, expect this step to take several days.
- Cabinets and Countertops – One of the most exciting days of a remodel is countertop and cabinet day. These pieces are essential to making your kitchen feel like a functioning space.
- Appliances – Now that the cabinets and countertops are in place, it’s time to bring in the appliances and hook them up.
- Finishing Touches – Finally, install the sinks, faucets, light fixtures, and backsplashes. Touch up paint if needed, and enjoy your new kitchen!
Remodel Your Kitchen With Mountain States Kitchen and Bath
Are you ready to dive in and start the kitchen remodel you’ve been dreaming about? Mountain States Kitchen and Bath is here to help every step of the way. We offer premium granite countertops, custom cabinetry, and beautiful finishes that are a surefire way to upgrade the look and feel of your kitchen and your entire home.
So if you’ve been wondering, “is now the right time to remodel my kitchen?” there’s no time like the present! We have everything you’ll need to create the kitchen you’ve been waiting for, from custom cabinetry to high-quality countertops and more.
We specialize in remodeling kitchens and bathrooms across the Wasatch Front, from Spanish Fork to Salt Lake City, Utah, and everywhere in between. Contact us today to learn more about what we have to offer, or swing by our showroom in Lehi, Utah, and see some of our beautiful options and designs for yourself.
We’ll be happy to answer any questions or schedule an in-home consultation with you. Let us help you design the home of your dreams. We can’t wait to work with you!