Wood cabinets can be a beautiful feature in your kitchen or bathroom, but they can also show wear, tear, grease, water spots, and more. You want to be careful when cleaning or polishing them to ensure that you do not damage the wood or alter the stain or paint, but you still want to remove the stains and grease.
Today we’re sharing an easy way to keep your cabinets looking shiny and clean with natural ingredients and absolutely no chemical damage to your cabinets. Pull out some gloves and let’s go!
How to Naturally Clean & Polish Wood Cabinets
- Although not totally necessary, emptying the cabinets will ensure a complete clean of your cabinets. It’s also helpful to pull everything out so you see what you have and what you can get rid of. While they’re empty, check for mold, warped wood, cracks or crumbles, or any other damage.
- Before you get in there with wet cleaning agents, take a duster or a clean, dry rag and wipe down all surfaces of your cabinets, inside and out. Removing the dirt, dust, spiderwebs, and more can help your cleaning solution work even harder.
- Mix a solution of 50/50 water and vinegar in a bucket, then dip a clean cloth into the mixture. Begin wiping carefully through all of the cabinets. Don’t forget corners! Once every surface is cleaned, wipe with a clean, dry rag to remove any lingering wet spots.
- Elbow Grease. If you need a little extra work to remove big grease spots or stains, add a few drops of dish soap to the spot and then attack it with a rag soaked in your cleaning mixture. Using a toothbrush for the hardware and carvings is a nice touch that will ensure total cleanliness.
- Condition & Polish. Mix a solution of 50/50 vegetable oil and vinegar in a small spray bottle. Spray on the outer surfaces of your wood cabinets, then rub in with a clean rag. Buff it into all the surfaces of the cabinet until it is shiny and beautiful. Not only does this shine your cabinets, but it will also protect the wood against future stains and decay.
If you notice that your cabinets are looking a little worse for the wear, we can help. Mountain States Kitchen & Bath can resurface your cabinets for a more modern look, or we can replace them with incredible new custom cabinets at an affordable price. Give us a call today!