There comes a point for some of us when we realize that our bucket full of store-bought cleaners may not be the best options. It may be when we look at the price tag and think “Geez this is getting expensive!” It may be when you have to use half a bottle of the stuff and your oven cooktop STILL isn’t clean.
There’s those moments when you really need to wipe down that mirror and you find you’re out of Windex. Or you just want to cut back on the number of chemicals floating around your home – and kids.
There are a variety of reasons to turn away from your traditional store-bought, chemical-rich cleansers. Whatever your reasons may be, it’s important to know that there are options besides your store-bought kitchen cleansers. Today we’re sharing our 5 favorite DIY all natural cleansers for your kitchen!
5 DIY All Natural Kitchen Cleansers
- All Purpose – 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 squeeze of natural dish soap, and 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (lemon is best!) all in a spray bottle will clean every surface in your home! Just avoid glass/mirrors because this is not streak-free.
- Vodka Disinfectant – mix 1/2 cup of vodka, 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1 1/2 cups of water, and 20 drops of essential oil. Our favorite scents for this mix are lavender and lemon, and they can be mixed! Spray this disinfectant when you’ve been working with raw meat or you’ve gotten something particularly gross on your countertops.
- Glass Cleaner – 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, 5 drops of essential oil (we like peppermint for glass!) all mixed together in a spray bottle will have your glass looking shiny and new! Make sure to wipe with a lint-free cloth.
- Mold & Mildew – mix 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil into 2 cups of water and spray liberally on the moldy and mildewy areas. After 24 hours, pour 1/4 cup of baking soda into a small bowl. Add enough of the tea tree/water solution until a paste forms. Scoop out with a clean toothbrush, then scrub into the mold until it breaks up. Rinse & wipe!
- De-Greaser – When you need to tackle the greasy spots around your oven or on vent covers, squeeze 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into 2 cups of water, then add a tablespoon of baking soda and a tiny squeeze of an all-natural dish soap if it’s really grimy. Soak a sponge and attack the grease stains, then wipe clean with a wet cloth.
You can clean your entire kitchen with no chemicals at all – and keep it sanitary and smelling fresh – all with cleansers that you mix yourself!