DIY your bathroom products with a few simple ingredients. Making your own products is much simpler than you may think! When you DIY, you can create products and scents that you love that are tailored to your needs. Use your favorite scent and herbs to create the bathroom products of your dreams.
Though not all of these ingredients maybe something you have on hand, many of the ingredients do overlap between DIY projects. Investing in some of these ingredients can save you money in the long run as you continually make and use your own products. Avoid harmful chemicals when you know exactly what is in your products.
1. DIY Bar Soap
2/3 c. coconut oil
2/3 c. olive oil
2/3 c. avocado oil
¼ c. sodium hydroxide
¾ c. water
- Combine water and sodium hydroxide in quart canning jar. Stir together. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe, medium sized mixing bowl, combine oils. Heat in a microwave for 45-60 seconds. The oils should be between 95 and 105 degrees F.
- Slowly add the water and sodium hydroxide mixture, stirring constantly. Stir for about 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken and lighten in color. When it is the consistency of pudding, it’s good to go.
- Add any scents or essential oils as desired.
- Pour into molds,
- Let sit for 24 ours before removing from mold.
2. DIY Body Wash
¼ c. melted coconut oil
¼ c. raw honey
½ c. liquid Castile soap
15 drops essential oil
- Combine coconut oil, honey, and essential oils in medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk ingredients together.
- Add Castile soap. Stir gently as you add the soap, to avoid creating suds. Move slowly.
- Transfer to desired bottle. Once full, seal with lid and shake before using.
3. DIY Shaving Cream
1/3 c. coconut oil
1/3 c. shea butter
2 T. olive oil
2 T. liquid Castile soap
- In a small sauce pan, melt together shea butter and coconut oil on a low heat setting.
- Add olive oi and stir until completely blended. Removed sauce pan from heat.
- Transfer mixture to a medium-sized bowl. Place the bowl, uncovered, in the fridge until mixture becomes thick and solidifies.
- Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer) whip the mixture until it starts to become fluffy. Add Castile soap and continue whipping until it starts to look like shaving cream.
- Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place.
4. DIY Bubble Bath
½ c. hand soap
1 T. honey
1 egg white
5 drops of essential oil
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine hand soap and egg white. Stir together until completely combined.
- Add honey. Combine completely.
- Add essential oil. Stir softly to avoid creating suds.
- Transfer to desired container.
- Because the bubble bath has egg whites in it, store it in the refrigerator and use within the week.