When it comes to choosing the right countertop options for your home, it can be equal parts exciting and intimidating. It’s a choice that ties together both form and function, reflecting your personal style while meeting the practical needs of your kitchen or bathroom. In short, it’s kind of a big deal!
We understand what a big decision this is. In this blog, we’ll dive into the 14 key considerations that can help you make the best choice for your home. Whether you’re embarking on a full-scale kitchen remodel or updating your bathroom, these are all great things to ask yourself when choosing countertops.
From budget considerations to material options, durability to aesthetic appeal, we’ve got you covered. We’ll explore a number of points that are sure to help you land on the best possible option. A home renovation is a big deal, and every decision counts when you’re updating your living space. We are determined to help you make the right choice that you’ll be happy with!
So let’s jump in!
- Budget: First things first, think about how much you want to set aside for your countertops. Making this decision early on in the process is an easy way to eliminate some potentially tough decisions, especially if you end up falling in love with countertop options that are outside your budget!
Determine how much you’re willing to spend on new countertops. Keep in mind that different materials come with varying price points, so if there is a specific countertop material that you’re drawn to, do some research beforehand to help determine if it’s a realistic countertop option for you.
- Material: Choose a countertop material that suits your needs and preferences. Common options include quartz, marble, limestone, and solid surface. Each different material will pose a unique set of pros and cons, making this another reason why it’s crucial to do your research before jumping in and choosing a countertop option.
Sometimes it’s helpful to see the different material options in person, so if you’re working with a company that has a visitable showroom, this can be extremely helpful in giving you a better idea of what may work best for you! Sometimes all you need is to see it for yourself.
- Durability: Consider the wear and tear your countertops will endure. Your countertops are sure to change as they serve you and your family in the hub of your home. Some materials are more durable and resistant to scratches, stains, and heat than others. Keep this in mind as you consider your options.
- Maintenance: Every type of countertop material is going to need regular cleaning and maintenance. However, some materials require a little more love and care than others. Quartz is known for being relatively low maintenance and easy to take care of. Concrete countertops on the other hand are quite challenging to tend to.
- Aesthetic Appeal: When it comes to choosing countertops, select a material and color that complements your kitchen or bathroom’s design and style. Everyone has a different opinion on what works best and will make their home most inviting. Choose something that speaks to your preferences!
With that being said, it’s also important to remember that kitchen countertops aren’t necessarily something that can easily — or frequently — be changed out. It may be wise to choose something that provides a neutral canvas for you to work with as the seasons change and the years go by.
- Resale Value: Going along with that thought, if you plan to sell your home in the future, think about how the choice of countertops might impact the resale value. Neutral colors and durable materials are often safer choices.
Often, potential buyers will walk through a home and keep a mental list of things that may need changing or upgrading. If you already have easy, neutral countertops, this is one less thing keeping them from putting an offer in on your home.
- Texture: Consider the texture of the countertop surface. Some materials have a polished finish, while others are honed or leathered, which can affect the look and feel. You may also find that some countertops have a smooth surface, with the sides of the countertop featuring a rougher, unfinished texture. Some love this look, some don’t. Consider where you land!
- Thickness: Countertops come in a wide variety of different thicknesses. Thicker countertops can add a sense of luxury and durability, but will likely come in at a higher price point. Thinner countertops may be more wallet-friendly, but perhaps they aren’t a kitchen countertop idea that you love.
At the end of the day, you deserve countertops that you love. If it’s important to you and you need to wait a few more months to save up the difference between thin and thick countertops, it’s worth it!
- Sink and Faucet Compatibility: This isn’t necessarily the first thing that comes to mind when choosing countertops, but it’s logistically important nonetheless. When looking at kitchen countertop ideas, ensure that your chosen countertop material can accommodate the type of sink and faucet you want, whether that’s your existing sink or a new sink.
- Edge Overhang: Do you have enough space in your kitchen to accommodate bar seating? Consider going with a good amount of edge overhang so you can get that extra seating in! Decide on the amount of overhang you want for your countertops, so that way you can allow for comfortable seating at your kitchen bar or island.
- Local Availability: If you’ve ever done a home remodel before, you know that there can be a lot of “hurry up and wait” involved in the process. A lot of this may be out of your control, but there are some things you can do to hurry the process along!
One of those things is looking at countertops that are available locally. This eliminates the need to wait for your countertops to be shipped, potentially cutting that time down and expediting your home project.
- Installation: Discuss installation requirements and costs with a professional installer to ensure your chosen material can be installed properly. We highly recommend this step, simply to help put you at ease knowing that your countertops are taken care of and will turn out great.
This is definitely something that should be left to the professionals, and feeling confident in the installation team you’ve chosen will do wonders for calming some nerves and getting you excited about the finished product.
- Warranty: Accidents happen, and if they do come up, you’ll be happy you went with an option that has a warranty. Ask about warranties or guarantees offered by the manufacturer or installer for the chosen countertop material, and once everything is installed and taken care of, make sure you file that information away somewhere where it can easily be accessed if needed.
- Long-Term Considerations: Think about how your choice will age over time. Will it still look great in your space several years down the line? Home trends frequently come and go, and while they may be fun in the moment, you don’t want to look at your kitchen five years from now and feel that it has a dated look.
There are many options that have stood the test of time, providing functionality without compromising style. It’s worth it to consider a timeless option so that you can ensure you’re happy with your choice as the years go by.
Mountain States Kitchen and Bath: Your Utah Countertop Destination
Whatever factors you may be considering for your countertop options, Mountain States Kitchen and Bath is an easy go-to for your home refresh. With a wide variety of countertop options to choose from as well as sinks and cabinetry, it’s easier than ever to put together your dream home.
Located in Lehi, we happily serve individuals and businesses in the Utah Valley and the Salt Lake Valley. You can rest easy knowing that you’re getting the highest quality countertops, with great service to match. We provide a variety of bathroom and kitchen countertop ideas, simplifying your process of finding something you love.
Contact Mountain States Kitchen and Bath today, or feel free to come visit our showroom! Your dream home countertops just got that much closer.