Memorial Day weekend is one of the most beloved weekends in the year, because it signifies the coming of summer and the promise of warm, good times to come. After months of work, rain, and melting snow, we are ready and waiting eagerly for the hot sun and barbecues with friends and family. If you’re a little rusty on the barbecue front, we have a few super easy recipes to make your Memorial Day weekend a success!
1. Upgrade Your Lemonade!
• Start with a simple lemonade – even store bought! That’s what makes this recipe so easy and fast. Cut up some of your favorite fruits: raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, watermelon, and more! Fill the pitcher 3/4 of the way with lemonade, then spoon in the fruit. Store in the fridge overnight and serve chilled!
2. Patriotic Fruit Salad
• This is a huge hit at the barbecue, poolside, or even just for a delicious snack or dessert at home. Mix a sweet package of pudding mix into a container of whipped topping (you can use vanilla, cheesecake, or anything else you like!) then in a glass cylindrical dish layer chopped red strawberries and blueberries with the white whipped topping.
3. Easy Corn on the Cob
• For the fast and easy version of this summer classic, all you need is corn, foil, olive oil, and your preferred spices. Husk and trim the corn, then set it on a square of foil. Drizzle the corn with olive oil (or butter if you prefer!), then sprinkle with your preferred spices. Wrap it up and bake for half an hour at about 350 degrees in your oven, or throw on your grill for 20 minutes. Delicious!
4. Stuffed Burgers
• If you’ve never made your own burgers before it can seem intimidating, but it’s easy! Buy the highest quality ground beef you can find, and a block of your favorite cheese (American, colby, swiss, etc). Make a thin patty by rolling out a ball of ground beef and flattening it with the palm of your hand. Place a few thick slices of the cheese that are small enough to stay within the patty’s center. Then layer another thin patty on top and press around the edges. Grill to perfection!
5. DIY Popsicles
• Making your own popsicles this summer is very easy, and it’s a great time to start on Memorial Day! Find a mold at your local grocery store, or order one online. Fill with juice and cut fruit, ice cream, pudding, and anything else your heart might desire! Freeze overnight or longer, and pull out when you want a cool treat.
We hope you have an amazing Memorial Day enjoying the warm weather and remembering those who have died to preserve our freedoms. May this be the start to an excellent summer!